"Teachers who love teaching, teach children to love learning." ~Robert John Meehan

Sunday, December 3, 2017

Google Forms: Work Smarter, Not Harder

I love easy.

Especially when it comes to my classroom. Who doesn't?!

When I first started teaching years and years ago, technology was not a big part of the classroom. All of my data and meticulous notes were kept in a giant 5 inch binder.

Seriously.

It had all kinds of papers for each student: reading conference forms, writing forms, math data forms, anecdotal notes, behavioral notes, parent contact, and more I'm sure I'm forgetting. It was giant but it was necessary. My favorite part was getting to lug it around to all my meetings...

Luckily, technology is our friend (most days) and I have been able to replace all that paper with a simple, useful, personal system.

GOOGLE FORMS!



Let's see some of the ways I use Google Forms to simplify my classroom. {Be sure to read the end about how to set it to create a separate page for each student in your response spreadsheet!}

1. Student Conference Notes

One of the biggest ways I use Google Forms is for reading and writing conference notes. It makes it so easy to record notes and organize data by student. The great thing is you can personalize it however you want! I created a form to include student name, book selection, notes on areas of strengths and weaknesses.  You can make a form for writing conferences or other subjects.







Click here to get your own editable copy.

2. Student Reading Response

I needed a more manageable way to keep track of students and their reading. It was a lot of paper! Now, I have a generic reading response form students can fill out about their reading! It starts by asking them if their book is informational or literary.



Based on their answer, it will take them to the corresponding page of questions.






Click here to get your own editable copy.



3. Scoring Rubrics

One way I use a scoring rubric is for writing checks. I use them when I do journal checks, writing projects, or conferences. It is a super quick way to score components and jot notes. You can easily make one for anything you spot-check often.




Click here to get your own editable copy.

4. Assessments

We use Forms for formative assessments often! It's an easy, paperless way to give assessments, quick checks, and exit tickets. You can make them for anything and Google will even grade it for you! In edit mode, just go to "settings" and "quizzes". Once you choose to make it a quiz, you have all sorts of grading options.




Of course the possibilities are endless!
  • Behavior Log
  • Parent Contact Log
  • Beginning of the Year Student information
  • Conference Sign-up
  • Student Voting
  • Student Events
  • Bathroom Log
  • Office Referral 
  • Student Morning Feelings Check in


BUT WAIT!

I want to share the most valuable part of all of this. There is a Forms add-on called RowCall. This is where the magic happens! It will create a separate page for each student and automatically move their data to that page.




After you've created a form, go to your response spreadsheet. In the tool bar click on "Add-ons", then "Get add-ons". Search for RowCall and install it. To run it, click "Add-ons", "Row Call", then "Start". It will ask you which column you want to sort by. Choose "name". Then check both boxes and hit sort.



Now, every time you enter your data, it will move each student's data to their own page within your spreadsheet!






I hope this gives some ideas on how you can organize with forms. How do you use forms in your classroom?


No comments:

Post a Comment