"Teachers who love teaching, teach children to love learning." ~Robert John Meehan

Saturday, October 21, 2017

#CharacterTraitOfTheDay




Character traits. Always a huge part of learning targets, and rightfully so. But it can be so hard to get kids to identify beyond
"He is nice."
"She is kind."
"He is nice."
"She was nice."

On top of that, we work so hard to incorporate social skills, 7 Habits, positive interactions, and work ethic. If only there was a simple way to incorporate daily practice....

Enter CHARACTER TRAIT OF THE DAY!


My brilliant colleague, Brianna, started this tradition with her second graders. So I did what every collaborative teacher does..... stole her idea to use next door.

The results have been incredible! Here's how it works in my room:


At the beginning of the year, we are sure to introduce or review character traits. There are some great lessons and anchor charts out there. I particularly like this one from Teaching With Simplicity:


I start by telling students I will be watching for one trait in particular all day, for example helpful. Then I watch for who shows this trait. {Bonus, it's a great management tool "Hmmmm, who do I see being helpful...." and they magically all begin being helpful.}

The next day during morning meeting, we are ready to award the CTotD.  I remind them I had been watching for helpful acts all day.

Then, <<drumroll>>......

The winner is announced! We clap and cheer and get to hear how that student showed the trait. The winner gets to take the stage {aka, my teaching chair. Kids NEVER get to sit in it. This is how they know it's a big deal! 😉 } . I fill out the CTotD award and pass along the prize. In our room, it's just a simple toy from the Dollar Store. The student gets to take it home for the night. You can use any award or prize you'd like. I used these editable awards from Kristen Vibas.  Here are a bunch of free ones on TeachersPayTeachers as well.

Now, the new winner gets to choose the new trait they want to watch for that day. Some of my favorite traits chosen have been reliable, positive, compassionate, friendly, patient, trustworthy, and humorous. Talk about going deep!

Then that winner watches all day so they can pass the award along. The next morning, the previous winner takes the stage. I ask them if they have chosen a winner and an example of how that person showed the trait {hello evidence!}  We drumroll and they announce the winner and how they showed that trait. The student gets to fill out the award for the new winner and pass along the prize. Then it continues with the new winner choosing a trait.



It takes literally minutes, but does so much. Students are constantly naming and watching for character traits. They are always trying to think of an original idea and it's a great way to bring in character-building lessons and friendship skills. It's also a surefire way to build class family connections. Now, when we talk about character traits, they have a much better concept of what to look and listen for in characters because they are living these traits every day.

Parents also love seeing the winners! Feel free to add to our hashtag #CharacterTraitoftheDay if you decide to add this wonderful routine to your room.

I would like to officially bestow the next #CharacterTraitoftheDay award to my brilliant teaching partner:





No comments:

Post a Comment